3.13.2009

Learning styles

Im tired today. Viva teething all last night kept me up for most of it, and then when it seemed we'd finally get some sleep (5 am) she bit down on me (with her two new razor teeth), I responded quickly (of course) with a "NO BITE"... two seconds later... ((chomp)) "NO BITE!!!" At this point I decide to switch sides and pray for a change in her tactic... then out come the teeth again. (This is where I make my mistake)... With the other two kids when they were teething they would bite me- usually only once- my first response to biting was a little flick on their mouth with a "no bite" order. It worked, really well. but for some reason I knew that I shouldn't flick Genevieve. I just knew it wouldn't be the same for her. So I had pre-determined WHEN she bit me (not if) I would be calm, set her down on the floor, say "no bite" and hopefully she'd get the message. Unfortunately, in the deliriousness of the moment last night I momentarily forgot my "plan" and when she set her little piranha jaws on me for the third time I reacted with the tried and true method I'd used with Nora and Judah... I flicked her little mouth (not hard mind you, just enough to surprise her) and oh, it surprised her, and seriously hurt her feelings. She cried like her heart was breaking. she cried for an hour and a half. I tried to get her to nurse again she'd try, tentatively- and break off wailing. I tried snuggling her, bouncing, rocking, you name it, she arched her little back and wailed. At the end of the hour and a half- she decided to try nursing again, and finally, finally with much trepidation managed to nurse and fell into a whimpering sleep. I felt like a terrible mom. I should have listened to my natural instincts on this one... then as I looked at my finally sleeping teether, she smiled. Not a little sleepy smile, but a grin, reminding me that she would be ok. I think the biggest lesson I learned was to listen to that sweet voice of the Holy Spirit, that often doubles as instinct. As well as the flicking may have worked for Nora and Judah, (not seeming to really even notice- other than not to bite me anymore) it definitely is not the tactic for Viva. It was a gentle reminder that each of my children are different PEOPLE, with different learning/love/communication styles, and the Lord will show me how to train each of their special selves. So now I'll go try to figure out how to keep my 2 year old from playing in the street, because obviously what worked with Nora is not working with him,  Lord give me wisdom.

3 comments:

  1. So true. I was quite suprised that my second responds so differently to discipline. Even when she was tiny, my second would start to cry if she heard someone yell. She has a tender heart -- such a good thing, but hard to break habits formed in training the VERY strong willed first.

    Keep up the good work. It is so hard to remember all the "good mommy" techniques when sleep deprived.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is so beautiful to me. I finally got Esther to lay down after w hours bouncing and doing everything imaginable to get her to stop crying. Thanks for reminding me that she is a little PERSON!

    ReplyDelete
  3. My third is the opposite! She will barely even acknowledge pain! She pushes the limits everywhere. God certainly does keep us on our toes and keep us humble doesn't He?

    ReplyDelete