Herbs and spice are some of the greatest sensory delights of my day so I thought I'd share my top five (since I can't just pick one)

1. Thyme: a happy herb, synonymous with savory. I have used it my whole life, grown lots of different varieties... but all of a sudden this love affair has begun, and I am seeing this flexible friend like it's the first time. Recently I have been using it with chicken, and ground beef, totally different, equally awesome!

2. Lavender: it has always been at the top of my list. My favorite little sturdy sweetheart, the joy of my garden (all 30 or so plants) the sweet reminder of summer in my winter underwear drawer, the delicate romance in my scones along with earl grey. Yes lavender, I will always love you.

3. Rosemary: my youngest daughter's middle name... Brisk yet approachable- I love to grab my bush as I walk past, the smell lingering on my hands, reminding of the kitchen, chicken dinners, sunshine. Faithfully green, easy to please, my little baby plant now bushy strong.
I love it equally for it's flavor and smell,
and the lore that strong willed women have the knack to grow it. I think it's true!

4. Nutmeg: Sassy and mellow, spicy and smooth. I love that I can use this spice in christmas cookies, spinach and meat! Nutmeg brings out the best in everyone, including myself.

5. Basil: Every kind-every variety. Fresh and alive. I love how this friendly herb is a bridge between cultures, and ethnic link to Italy and Thailand equally and most important to those kinds of food! I get giddy smelling a big bunch of basil- as the possibilities for kitchen greatness are endless!
What are your favorite herbs? How do you use them? I'd love to hear.
BTW: I got the pic's off the internet from food sites- Im not that great of a photographer :)

Ooh, so fun. I love herbs as well. Reading your list and descriptions actually allowed me to smell their unique scents. You have a wonderful way with words. I have a particular love affair with Rosemary. I also love marjoram for its sweetness.
ReplyDeleteBASIL
ReplyDeletenothing makes me happier
I always have at LEAST 5 plants in the summer
LAVENDER
I have some of yours in a wand in my cloth diaper basket:)
-